Sunday, November 7, 2010

Yosemite!

It's finally cooling down and temps in Yosemite are getting good! Yesterday Keenan, Charlie, Sal, Jacob, Teddy, Paul, and I all met up in Yosemite. Just about all of us got a good ascent with fifteen total ascents this trip.

First we went to Atlantis (V6) and I did it. Its pretty cool with an interesting location on the river. Keenan and I went exploring down the river and found lots of cool unclimbed boulders ranging from cool V2s with amazing sidepull and underclimg jugs, to small suspended boulders, to ridiculous V-impossible amazing highball double arete squeeze problems.

Next we checked out The heart of Darkness (V9). At first we tried Keenan's beta and got shut down and almost left (naturally), but then we met someone named Ben and someone (I forgot his name) that I met at a comp at pipeworks and they gave us good beta. Keenan and I both sent! This is the hardest, and probably the best thing I have sent in Yosemite so far.

Next we went to LeConte to do Chocolate Bunny (V6), and Athletes Die Young (stout V5). Keenan, Charlie, Sal, and I all did Chocolate Bunny. For being a lowball it's really fun with heal hooks, compression, and overall pretty sustained power. After that tried Athletes Die Young. Aside from one small crimp, its really fun. Keenan sent first, followed by me, Jacob, and Sal. Since we did that we decided to try Conan. I don't like the crimp so I decided to dyno. I never did it but showed Jacob the dyno and he touched the top of the hold a few times!

It started to trickle a little rain so we decided to go to Camp 4. Keenan and I climbed an awesome slab called the Kor Problem (V3). Teddy made a long waited ascent of Torque Spanner (V8?). Sal, Charlie, and Jacob all got close on it but never got It. We tried the Font Problem, but it got dark and none of us did it. I decided to try the Largo Lunge (V0) and did it. It's a pretty cool problem great for warming up on (not as good in the dark when you can't really see where you are going).

Overall this was a very good trip with lots of good ascents. We discovered that there is a practically limitless potential for bouldering in Yosemite if you are willing to hike even just a few hundred feet from any part of the road.

No comments: